Saturday, August 10, 2013

Teacher from the Wack Lagoon

So by now you've probably gotten at least a small sense of who I am, where I'm at, and what this blog is about: young-20's recent college graduate moves out to the big city to become a famous hotshot writer for the entertainment industry and encounters all sorts of joys and sorrows chasing her impossible dream. That about sums it up. In a very dry, pessimistic sense, that about sums it up.

And listen, hey, take a seat. Just sit on my knee here for a second. Son, not every blog post is going to be "OMG GAIZ CHECK OUT THEZE KOOL CHOPSTIXXX AI FOUND ISN'T LIFE GR8??" And I want you to know that this blog won't get boring, or at least I hope not, it's just that... there is more to life than gr8 chopsticks.

Contrary to everything this picture might suggest.
This is also about the muck and grime of really being shoved into the world for the first time and being expected to do something about it. That hole of despair known as being a "20-something." The financial struggles of mere existence. All that good stuff. And I'm not saying we're going to talk about that all the time, but, it will come up as I see fit. Just letting you know now.

Fortunately for you, I'm happy as a clam right now, so we aren't going to really talk about how sad real life is today. Return to the Pleasure Dome!

You grew up in the 90s if...
Yesterday was lovely. It began most excellently with waking up and going with my friend to Canter's! If you live in L.A. then you already know about this place-- just making statements of fact. Thanks to having [boy]friends in L.A., I was a major Canter's Deli fan even before I moved out here. I'm preaching to the choir if you're a local, but I'm sure at least one reader out there finds this place exotic and unfamiliar. So... let's talk about Canter's why Canter's is so awesome.

It is a gigantic Jewish deli restaurant located on Fairfax, not far from the Grove. You walk in to find yourself in some strange and wonderful world of pastries and challah.

I want to eat challah it.
Then your how-the-frock-are-you-so-friendly server seats you down in a booth and hands you a menu that looks something like this:

It was the best of delis, it was the worst of delis...
So many choices. There's definitely something for everyone, though this place might be a little less exciting for vegetarians. They actually have a really awesome veggie sandwich I've gotten there a couple times, but this time I went with 7-grain granola almond pancakes with bananas and whipped cream. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I don't even LIKE pancakes that much, but gaw damn, did you read that combination of food-words?!

Canter's is pretty hip nowadays, so they've got a bit of a hype and are constantly busy. However, service has been great every time I've gone there. Also, it is open 24 hours which means you can have your chopped liverwurst roast beef hoagie at 5 in the bleeping morning, if you feel like it. And you know how them Jewish deli meat cravings get at 5am.

From Canter's, I went to work out in Bora Bora Walnut and did some tutoring. That's what I do right now. Tutor. Currently, virtually 0 hours a week, but schools are starting soon which means kids are going to be banging their heads against their notebooks soon enough. That's when I swoop down and drop bombs of one-on-one knowledge on those jive sucka K-8th graders.

I don't know why I say it like that, it's actually a very rewarding way to make a living and the kids are usually intelligent students who just need some extra help.

You grew up in the 90s if...
But yeah, I guess that's what I'm "doing" right now for money... I also work as a sort of teacher's aide at an after school writing program and that will be starting up again in September, so I'm hoping for a fair amount of hours with them. Otherwise it's back to the job boards, aka, Craigslist and desperate Facebook statuses.


It would be nice to have a job that involves writing, film and entertainment, or ideally both. But I have to feel out just how desperate I need to be before I can start being picky about which types of jobs I will and won't take up.

Ugh. This room receives far too little sunlight at 7:18pm for me to be talking about these things. Let's talk about the fact that I might be getting some dank Chinese food with a friend tonight, or that tomorrow I am driving down to Santa Ana to help paint sets for a dreamscape in a short film my friend is shooting. Should be exciting. I like painting. And I like that I can drive down to Santa Ana and paint giant dreamscapes because, hey, fuck you, I'm an adult. This, of course, is the same logic I use to justify eating cereal after 10pm and falling asleep in the same pair of jeans two nights in a row.




1 comment: