Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tired, Tired Hippo

Welcome to the "Sick and Tired" post. No, it's not a blog where I hilariously rant about the inescapable mundane atrocities of life. It's a blog that I write while I am simultaneously sick and tired.

Better sarcastically believe it.
Yep, my head feels like it's filled with marbles, my throat feels like it's smuggling marbles, and my stomach feels like Hitler is playing a game of marbles inside of it. I imagine this is what it must feel like to be a Hungry Hungry Hippo™. That and having really, really low self esteem.

"Food is the only joy I get out of life."
This wonderful bout of illness is happening right as I'm gearing up for production on this short student film, ensuring that I experience every form of headache simultaneously. They should have young adult Girl Scout badges for this kind of stuff.

But amidst all the stress and fatigue, I'm still finding ways to feel rewarded and enriched. I've been doing a lot better at work lately, which didn't seem possible a month ago. Or a week ago. Part of it I attribute to my boss's good mood, but part of it definitely has to do with my gradual evolution into an administrative ninja. I'm nowhere near the multi-tasking prowess of my co-worker who handles all the important paperwork while listening to 80s pop Pandora (...okay, we decided on that station together), but at least I can type an email AND figure out how to rewire a router.

Sweet, sweet victory.
"Well that's all great Jessica, you're sick and you're learning how to send faxes. But what about the reason you came out to LA? How's that working out for you, huh? Your big dreams? Your aspirations? Your third grade avowal to become a writer? Have you done ANYTHING to even remotely move towards that goal?"

Yes.

Remotely.

This is becoming the ongoing issue as I blindly swing my machete through the bamboo forest of young adulthood. Am I on track? Am I getting closer to my goal? Am I not trying hard enough? Am I doing what I need to do? Am I failing?"

Though I'm not entirely certain, it feels like I'm doing all of these things. My life is pretty different from this summer, where I submitted to a million and one Craigslist writing jobs by handing them a piece of paper with "I WRITE GOOD" scribbled across the front. I figured the most logical way to become a TV writer was to start as some kind of writer. But here I am, in the TV side of things and not the writing. Which is apparently a way to do it, too.

Latest accomplishment: I've worked my way up to a polished almost-final draft of my spec script! I still want more feedback than I've received, but I'm to a point where I can say I'm happy with what I produced. Like the 20 grapes I once fit into my mouth, this is a HUGE accomplishment. This marks my first spec script, my first tv script, my first career footpath brick, and my first shot at real world failure.

Speaking of Hungry Hungry Hippo.
I'll be taking the first steps toward "submitting" (a word I hear far too much of in this industry) my work for the first time in just a few weeks... I don't really expect much to come of it, but the anticipation of going out and doing it is still exciting.

I guess that's all I have for tonight. But just so you're at least partially satisfied...

Things I am Sick and Tired Of
  • The band F.U.N.
  • Moldy grapes
  • All this hair on the kitchen floor... whose in our household is THIS hairy?!
  • Feeling obligated to include emoticons when I text
  • Food trucks blocking my vision on the freeway
  • Cleaning up after my beta fish like he's queen of the castle
  • Hearing about the Hunger Games. I legitimately do not care. (but J-Law's okay)
  • CostCo quantities of student loans
  • CostCo quantities of noodles... I will never eat this many noodles
  • Chapped lips
  • Post-Taco Bell breath
  • The recent resurgence of posting quiz results. I don't CARE what Disney landscape most resembles your aura
  • Belly fat, which is why I tried Lipozene

No comments:

Post a Comment